Monday 21 November 2011

StrongStart SUCCESS!!!!

Well people...I did it! I went, I saw, I conquered! StrongStart has been owned! Now that I have you believing it was a breeze, let me tell you the real story!

A little pooped out from all the excitement!
Things started out well, my darling daughter was up early this morn, making for an early nap-time, which correlated perfectly with the drop-in times for StrongStart. To top it off, she was in a relatively chipper mood, which these days is a bonus (gotta love teething!) Everything was going swimmingly right? With her, sure...with the rest of it...not so much! Only I would pick the first day of completely socked in snow to venture out. So after dressing Hailey up for her date, running outside to start the van, going back inside to bundle her and strap her into her car seat (I could write one whole blog just about how much I LOATHE car seats and the evil person who designed the way they fasten!!!) popping the evil thing into the van, and scraping the huge, hard to reach windows...we're off! From here, things should be smooth sailing, and they are, until I see my Wing-Woman walking, in the wrong direction. I started to panic...should I still go, maybe she's just getting the mail, she'll show up shortly, but what if she doesn't? I temporarily consider turning around and going home, but then I remember "I wrote about this in my blog..." I steeled my nerves, pulled up my big girl panties and continued on, Wing-Woman or not, I would do this! Now, I am unfamiliar with the layout of the school where StrongStart is held, so I immediately get lost. Seeing little boots through one doorway, boots much to small for school aged children, I decide this must be the way to go. But when I end up at the door, it's marked Leap-Land, which is obviously the wrong name, and the place is deserted. SO where the heck did the little people belonging to those little boots go? Starting to feel defeated, I put my own giant boots back on, and begin to make my way out, but small voices behind another door make me pause. Quietly, I open the door, not wanting to draw attention to the crazy lady if this is in fact just a classroom. Lucky for me, it turns out to be my destination! Right away, I see two girls I know and my heart settles back into it's rightful place. It's from this point that things start going swimmingly. Like my heart, I settle into my rightful place as the newcomer, but no one treats me that way. I watch as all the older children joyfully sing along with the ladies who lead "circle time" I watch as Hailey's wide, alert eyes eat everything up, and I suddenly remember that this isn't fully about me. There are 3 other babies there of varying ages, and while I don't concrete any relationships with their mothers, I feel as if I have traversed a large gap. I will be returning, and perhaps sometime in the future I can be the one who makes a newcomer feel a little more welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment