Saturday 10 December 2011

Passing on the kindness

My son never ceases to amaze me. I have spent the last nine years trying my damnedest (<----that looks dumb, I know, but that's the proper spelling!) to teach him humility, compassion and understanding. Growing up, my mother always made a point to let me know that there is always someone worse off than yourself. She didn't do it to make me feel guilty, she merely wanted me to realise that I was lucky to have what I did, even if my friends had nore. In turn I have spent my life trying my best to make sure I am always aware of how good I have it, and pass on any good will I can to those who need a helping hand.  Noah has always displayed to me a innate ability to feel compassion for those less fortunate.  In the last two weeks though, it has been shining out of him. First of all, we have new neighbours. When I informed Noah of this, he immediately suggested getting them a "welcome to the neighbourhood" gift. (we have yet to do this, but this is my fault, not his) Next example, while admiring his gingerbread house this morning, he simply stated "I would really like to give this to a homeless person." WOW. Now I realise that I am tooting my own horn here, or rather Noah's, but I am so proud of my little man. While I am fully aware he is less than perfect, as we all are, and he certainly has his problem areas, as we all do, he is showing me how he is growing everyday into a wonderful, thoughtful human being.
Monday will find us at the CIBC, picking out an Angel from the Christmas tree so we can buy an age appropriate gift for a child in need. The excitement he showed when I suggested we do this was heartwarming.
So, even while he daily asks me for something new, I will try and keep in mind that he is a child, and I too felt that I needed everything at his age. Instead of getting angry, I will once again gently remind him of those with nothing and hope my mother's lesson will continue to spill into the next generation.

On a related note...I have always wanted to sponsor a child. The main reason I haven't yet is my wariness. I am worried that my money will not be going to where I intend it to. Is there anyone who has already sponsored a child and has any advice for me? 

2 comments:

  1. You are one good MAMA! It's magical when we see lessons actually hit home with our own.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you miss! It is rather spectacular to see our hopes come to life in our children!

    ReplyDelete